Applications now closed.
Magic of Persia presents a new residency opportunity for Iranian artists, in partnership with Gasworks.
Established in 2004, Magic of Persia is a UK-based charity which nurtures and develops Iranian cultural practitioners of the arts. This is accomplished by establishing initiatives promoting modern, contemporary and classical Persian art, music and media in partnership with world-class institutions.
At the heart of Magic of Persia is a mission to provide much-needed opportunities for talented individuals both inside and outside of Iran; supporting them in gaining well-deserved international recognition. Through its activities, the charity strives to make a notable contribution to the long-term advancement of Iranian art and culture worldwide.
The residency comprises:
- Accommodation and basic living expenses in London
- Travel costs from Iran to London.
- Materials/production budget
- A studio at Gasworks ?- an artist's talk and Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks
Please note that any costs associated with obtaining a visa are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
The support, networks and creative environments that Gasworks can offer will provide the artist with the means to research and experiment with new work. This residency is open to emerging and mid-career artists. The selected artist should be able to engage discursively and speculatively with Gasworks' environments and London's wider artistic and cultural context.
Selection and Eligibility:
- The Magic of Persia residency is open to emerging and mid-career established artists living and working in Iran
- The candidates will have graduated from post or under-grad education within the last five years
- Candidates will have a good standard of spoken English and should feel comfortable engaging in artistic discussions in English. We will require proof of English language skills in order to be elegible to apply.
The residency is open to Iranian contemporary visual artists working in all disciplines, however one must note the restricted facilities. Emerging and mid career artists involved in high quality art practice who have not had the opportunity to work in London before are prioritised.
Gasworks will create a shortlist, from which a panel comprised of Gasworks staff and two external curators, will select the successful artist.
This research based residency aims to support new approaches to art practices, whilst encouraging international contacts and facilitating the exchanges of ideas.
To be considered for the residency, applicants should outline themes for research or projects that they would like to focus on during their stay in London.
The residency is process-led and open-ended, as such it is focused on the development of a project rather than a finished product. All Gasworks residencies culminate in an Open Studio weekend where the artist has an opportunity to present work in progress to the public and local curators. There will also be the opportunity to develop more focused events or outreach projects during their residency.
There is no application form. Please submit the following information electronically:??
We prefer digital applications in PDF or Word formats. There is no limit to images, but all images should preferably be contained within maximum three PDF documents. There is a 10MB limit on each email sent to us but you can send bigger files via www.yousendit.com if necessary.
Your application should include:
1. A statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which could include a short description of research projects specific to the context of London or work you would like to create.
2. An artist's statement describing your practice and areas of interest in your work (250 word max)
3. A minimum of 10 images of recent work with captions and a short description if necessary. Postal applications are also accepted but please do not send originals.
4. A curriculum vitae
5. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about the work or exhibitions, publications, etc).
6. A certificate proving qualification and proficiency in English, such as TOEFL scores.
7. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail, telephone and fax numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available between January - March 2013, if selected.
Applications should be emailed to:
Residencies Assistant, Gasworks
If you prefer to post your application, please send it to:
Gasworks International Residency Programme
155 Vauxhall Street
London SE11 5RH
We regret that we are not able to return application materials.